Finding your way - when the path is covered.

I've been meaning to take a picture of a creek near my house - for well, way before the snow even fell. It's a perfectly meandering creek that seems to take the longest winding way to get to it's destination. I remember learning all about this in geography class in high school (yea, a few decades ago). It fascinated me then and still does today.

I love this short animated video to explain why this happens:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a3r-cG8Wic

"...the meandering rivers may seem tame and lazy.... but out on the open plains those stony walls give way to soft soil allowing rivers to shift their banks and set their own ever changing courses to the sea. Courses that almost never run straight"

What poetic language to describe the flow of water!

And boy does it resonate! I feel like that meandering river out on the open plain this year. Not that I'm on soft soil, in fact my foundation has never been more set. It's just that as roadblocks/obstructions/disturbances (you name it) have been set in my path, I've had to find a way around - as I head ultimately to the sea. How do you view these 'roadblocks'?

When discussing this very topic with my PLN last year - I reminded them that it's a matter of perspective. Road blocks cause you to take a detour. And in the case of my meandering - it might seem like a longer way (and might be) - but you'll get there in the end.

We are a instant satisfaction nation. Instant weight loss, instant results, instant improvement. Yet in the classroom we know that detours (differentiating our instruction) is vital for students who need more route choices.
I personally love it when my GPS says "re-routing" ! I need to know I have options. It's a good thing I am comfortable with change, because my work schedule has been revised about 15 times (no hyperbole there).

I finally got a chance to take capture my creek and well - it's flooded. I'm sure there is poetic irony there also.

I'd like to think we all start on our journey at the same starting point. All a blank canvas - 
 ...and those of us in the field of education know that's just not the case. From Kindergarten readiness, to financial equity, to social capital and political capital. We run the gammut! 50 shades of white!

The beauty of this journey however, is that we CAN take detours, add more color here and there, or even add or remove embellishments. In the end we'll all have an end product. What matters is did you do your best? Give it your all? Pour your heart and soul into every step or brushstroke?
I recently attended Wine & Canvas and not one of the 20 canvases looked the same at the end of the night. What joy that brought me!
The length of our deck from our back door to the yard is 20 ft long. Do you think the dogs lose their way when it's covered with snow? Not a chance - they beeline to their exterior lavatory as if the path was lit up with airport lights. 

I think there is a message here:

Here are some things that guide me:
1) My family - my husband is my anchor. He helps keep me grounded when I become frustrated or too idealistic (yup, that happens).
2) My children - have had an interesting journey in their short lives. I am reminded daily of their struggles as English language learners. James and Michael  have been here for almost 5 years, and Nick for almost 3. We will be traveling back to Taiwan at some point hopefully this year - and I know how difficult things will initially be for Edward. Yet, they embrace change and challenge and exhibit resilience and bravery that will always encourage me.
3) My students - run the gamut from dual language learners born in the U.S to recent refugees with zero English. I've never taught such hard workers with positive attitudes. They embrace 'opportunity' and 'freedom' that we very often take for granted.
4) My PLN - is a diverse group of lead learners, lead dreamers and ripple makers that I call friends! They inspire me to do better in my work, to dream bigger than I imagined, and remind me the impact that a simple act/word can have. I have been so moved by my connection with them that I created humanbeacon.com to highlight the work they do, the lives they live, and the far reach they have.

So who is your beacon? (Nominate them as a featured human beacon!)

How do you find your way when the path is covered?




Comments

  1. Geniene, your experience and insight present powerful words in your blog. We all have meandering creeks we travel in both personal and professional experiences. Through your blog, it provides many reflective pieces for all our PLN to connect with. #ptcamp Well said.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geniene, your experience and insight present powerful words in your blog. We all have meandering creeks we travel in both personal and professional experiences. Through your blog, it provides many reflective pieces for all our PLN to connect with. #ptcamp Well said.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Geniene,
    I love this post. This really resonates with me as we have been talking about landing our dream administrative position. We may not get our dream job right away. I am sure we will have to meander down the creek until we find our way. And that's okay, there is much to learn, gather, and take with us along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post, Geniene.

    The reality of a meandering waterway is: sometimes it dries up! Other times it floods the banks, as your picture illustrates. Truth is, it is changing and so am I. My presence in it has the potential to change its course and it is vital that I be guided by my values and goals, mindful of the gap between my ideals and the present situation. Self-knowledge has taught me to remain open to my vision and insights and receptive and curious about the process. To find clarity, it helps to acknowledge where I'm confused and to identify what I need. From there, I can seek feedback and process the input to make informed choices and/or thoughtful changes, if necessary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?