Treat 'change' like a dog would.

My transition into administration was like the honeymoon period of marriage - bringing a baby/child/dog into your home (yes I just did lump them all together)- and why?

Well, because I officially started in my position as EL coordinator (first of it's kind) for our district on July 1st; when, kids - were out!
Email inbox zero: no problem.
Finishing tasks on my list - daily: no problem.
A false sense of control - absolutely: problem.

Fast forward (actually rewind) to August 13th, when school officially began with students.
Procedural questions, first time registration weird scenario questions, emails and meetings and deadlines that seem to overlap - 
AND remember we're talking "change" - that dirty 6 letter word.

So why was the honeymoon period over so fast: and why was 'problem' creeping back into my brain-

After a summer of learning about leadership resilience and then carrying on that work in house with our district building leaders - with the ground laid on mutual understanding of what "bouncing forward" in leadership resilience language looks like. 
How come everyone else isn't experiencing this 'change' process as smoothly (at least theoretically) as we have prepped it to be?

So after a full week of school - yes only 7 days total, it's a Friday night, my husband has gone biking with my younger two sons, and after publishing this post with my head literally resting on my right shoulder as I type,  because I feel THAT tired - I'm going to bed!

But I'll leave you with these thoughts:

If you could just treat change like a dog: (if you don't own a dog - go visit a dog lover's home and watch this happen).

1. Change the dog food (aka program/curriculum/structure of doing things)
 Sure they (dogs) may sniff at it, and look at you like for a moment before eating - but guess what - they'll eat it. They'll probably even lick the bowl clean. If you swap out a new food without blending it for a few days before ,slowly moving to the new food - (as if they won't notice) you'll have less digestive problems. No one likes diarrhea - am I right? No one likes verbal diarrhea either - 
So when replacing the old with the new - take your time!

2. Take them out of their home territory (aka open door policy/collaborative teaching/change classrooms).
Have you ever seen a dog after hearing: "wanna go for a ride?"  hide under the bed or clutch onto the couch. Okay maybe a few don't like the car - especially if you say the V word (vet) - but my dogs, ~and I've had over 15 in my life~ have always bee-lined for the car, and would have driven away in the car if they could have hit the start button ......and reached the pedals.... ok you get my drift!

They (dogs) are THRILLED with the change of perspective! They sit up on the seats like they have been bipedal all their lives.
They LOVE being high up and watching the new surroundings.
They take in all the sights, sounds, and smells and make me want to drive them around for hours - as if they are experiencing everything for the first time. Ah the outdoors!!! FREEDOM!

I might have also put my face out the window on occasion to feel the wind hit my face. Remember to put the droolers behind you!
(photo used permission from a fellow dog lover)
In fact - the more I take my dogs out of the house - the better dogs they are. More socialized, better behaved on the leash, more accustomed to new situations and entry ways.

So get out of your comfort zone - open up your door - go explore a new setting - and live in the moment.

Ready to go! Should I drive?
 (photo used with permission from a fellow dog lover)
3. Show them a new routine 
We had to stop our dogs from heading upstairs at night, and when we weren't home, because ONE of them kept eating socks. After two surgeries - tall, laundry baskets, and lots of yelling we had to devise a new plan. So we put baby gates up- restricting access to the front foyer. A bit of a pain for the adults in the house (clearly no babies here) - yes! but to prolong the life of my dogs (and possibly my children) it was a necessity. Was the gate for all dogs - no, just Jack the sock eater. Was this a change that would have a negative impact if applied to all - no! In fact there is less dog hair to vacuum etc etc.
If you initiate a change in routine, expect a little push back at first, but knowing it benefits all - the small nuisance will be forgotten.

And with those canine related thoughts - my three who are soundly asleep beside me as I type - I'll think I'll join them (upstairs on the other side of the baby gate) for some much needed R &R!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?