The high dive

This is not a high dive! I realize that.
 
This IS the water slide at the state park where we went biking this past weekend with our boys.
Yet, the same emotional attachment by viewing this tall slide staircase, was the same emotional attachment I had standing on top of the high-dive board.
It wasn't the height - it was when I released my grip of the rails, and walked out onto the board, it started to bounce. . .
 
I took a few quick, nervous steps backward and tightened my grip onto the rail - while my husband and boys awaited for me in the water below. I looked down at the water below, and I seemed to have an audience. Could they see my white knuckles? Were they watching the train wreck of a middle aged woman, with her 20+lbs of extra weight, trying to figure a way to get off the diving board - without appearing 'chicken'. Could they hear me saying - "I really don't want to do this?"
I had already told my middle son that if he did it - I would. The same family pressure we used to go zip lining a few weeks back. A positive kind of peer pressure.
 
So what did I do?
I walked back out - muttering under my breath "just walk and jump" - and then SPLASH! I was in. My kids were smiling, my husband was smiling - and yes, I was smiling too!
 
The Risk:
I've heard a lot of conversation this week and a half about 'risk taking' and the 'growth mindset', and why it seems easier for kids to just DO IT! Well, naturally, we overthink - we have past fears, experiences and failures to attach emotional baggage to. That tends to hinder our ability to 'just do'. I say, it's time to flip that to our advantage.
 
I had the honor of addressing the new teachers joining our district today during orientation. I knew I could grab hold of the 'high dive' experience by immersing them in a language activity. I had them "play the game" of being a language newcomer by having them write and recite "Three Blind Mice" - all in Afrikaans. This is a powerful experience for me as a facilitator and for them as participants. There is a lot to unpack about the linguistic experience and the lessons that follow are equally as powerful as they relate to pedagogy.
 
Up front I said there are two rules:
1.Don't let on - once you realize what we're talking about.
2. Jump in with both feet - and embrace the emotional/physiological and mental reaction you'll have.
 
As new teachers they did not disappoint. They jumped in and 'immersed'.
 
Your High-Dive:
As we embark on a new year - of learning, teaching, growing, building and playing.......
I encourage you to let go of the handles, embrace the bounce - and make the splash.
 
Not only are your students and peers watching you - but if you have fun while doing it - the rewards will FAR outweigh the risks. I promise!
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?