Making Hi-Tech and Low-Tech Communications & Connections Work

As an itinerant in three buildings across K-12, we had to devise a strategy this year to make utilize some hi-tech ways to stay connected.

I had been using Voxer since the summer and I introduced it to my para.
We started off with daily interactions to touch base on schedule issues/students issues and a general acclimation to our roles.

A model example of how we were able to interact and connect to best serve a student happened: here's the scenario

Student: 9th grade male from Somalia. He has been in the US for 3 years and lives with his mother and two older sisters. His father is a truck driver and their interaction is limited. Student had previously been assigned to the Alternative school for behavior issues (this is where I first met him).
My interaction with the family has been constant since the beginning of school. I supported his sisters in class in a collaborative setting, while my paraprofessional worked more with Student during the first semester.

Teacher: English teacher at the high school - who has Student in a Reading for Success (English) class.


Vox from para: Jan 28th 10:10am
Student has to speak into the computer for a reading program and he is frustrated because it doesn't pick up on his accent. He has already repeated this class once. He was not comfortable sharing his concerns with the teacher (fearing she would think he was lying and trying to get out of doing the work). Para spoke to him and shared this is why we are here - to support you in call classes and in her words "she tore down the walls with him today".

Vox to para: Jan 28th 2:22pm
Relaying that all her information was received - very helpful information and that with her permission I would email her vox to the Teacher.

Email to teacher:  Jan 29th 7:58am
Hey S____
My para sent me this vox yesterday I was really excited about it and wanted to share. I would love to chat more with you about this – feel free to send me a vox if you have an account.

I have visited (Student's) family a few times this year – and I have his dad’s phone number. M--- (older sister ) said if we talk to dad – his relationship with (student's) is different than mom’s and he can really get through to him.

Thanks
Geniene

(Vox attached)

Reply from teacher:  Jan 29th 10:48
Hi,

I haven't used Vox before. What is it for? I definitely think his dad needs to be talked to. He just doesn't want to do anything in class. I am sitting next to him right now while he does the online reading program and every few minutes I have to tell him he HAS to read and do this program.

Reply to teacher: Jan 29th 10:48
Vox is a “walkie talkie” app for your phone/desktop computer. You can leave voice messages and texts/pictures. You can also forward to people as I did with you – were you able to play the message?

Reply from teacher: Jan 29th, 11:11
Oh cool- I was able to listen now that I figured it out. As far as the computer program, I don't know how to make it understand an accent. It is the same for everyone. That would probably be a question better for someone higher than me because I don't know if that is an option. I also think the problem is during class. He may feel it is just the computer because he is overwhelmed with that, but he also doesn't want to complete any in class work and guesses on his vocab tests. I am happy to make any accommodations needed for the reading program-- just not sure how to do that :)

Thanks!

Reply to teacher: Jan 29th 11;11
Ok – when’s your planning. Let’s get a few thoughts together and then we can call dad. He is a truck driver but I have his cell!

Reply from teacher Jan 29th 11:14
Sounds good. I have 4th block. I don't have my room- is there somewhere I can meet you?

Reply to teacher Jan 29th: 11:14
Library work room? Friday at 1pm?

FRIDAY 1pm 
We meet face to face and brainstorm how best to meet Student's needs for this class!

Face to face - Voxer - Email- text -phone calls
Make connections and communications work for you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?