The Hamster Ball

A few weeks ago, I planned a fun morning with my visiting niece and nephew. We headed down to the riverfront to ride inside the Duck Boats. Those are amphibian tour buses ~ anyway...

While we were waiting for our tour time, I took everyone to an area where I had seen 'the hamster balls' many times before. I had walked passed these many a time, without stopping yet a few times secretly wishing I could go inside. It looked FUN!
Today though was a perfect opportunity! Send the kids in and eat up some wait time.

My three youngest boys and my nephew each climbed into their balls and onto the water they went - and fell, and fell again. Fall after fall the boys just couldn't keep their balance. Two of them finally gave up and just lay inside the ball. The whole time, as I was laughing and taking photo's, I was also thinking :~
"it can't be that hard!
"I'm going to do this!"
"They just keep falling!"

So after the boys turn - it was my turn - with my 13 year old niece. It was for both of these reasons that I got in the ball:
1) I wanted to make a permanent fun memory for my family (think IN and OUT - the movie - yes that's totally how I imagine that really working) -
AND
2) I wanted to show my kids that I was tough and - well better than them!
So that's me - and the position I took most of the time during the 5 minute Hamster Ball experience. The event manager failed to mention that the reason why the 'fun time' is only 5 minutes long - is because you start running out of breathable air the second he zips you in. So not only was it 90 degrees outside, with zero fresh air - you are also exerting tremendous energy trying to stay upright.

The bad news:
I struggled for about 4: 47 seconds

The good news:
I did manage to stand fully vertical for a whole 1 second (3X)
 I have proof: https://youtu.be/lbSQEB0_FWs

SO WHAT! 

As school is about to start (2.5 weeks away here in Northern Kentucky), it reminded me of a few things. Not necessarily new things - but reminders are good!

Students:
A productive struggle is encouraged: key word 'productive'. Students won't always get it the first time - and that's ok. As I was doing thrusters this morning at the gym, I winced and immediately my coach got up and was heading to get lighter weights. Recovering from some injuries so understandable (so don't judge him please). I told him to give me a second so that I could correct my form. I ended up getting through the WOD (work out of the day) injury free. I had to take ownership of my body and my pain and make some decisions for myself. 
It's not always easy to let students make those decisions - which might possibly lead to mistakes - but we must.

Teachers:
Sometimes the activities might look scary/childish/silly  - you name it. Join in! The best learning we do, is the learning we do together. If I know one thing in all my years - it's that experiences make learning connections permanent.

Also: the productive struggle for teachers in learning new curriculum/technology/protocols is very similar to those students experience. Don't get too far removed from your kids - 

Administrators: 
Judge not - putting yourself in someone's shoes - like putting yourself into someone's hamster ball is the depth of perspective we need in our positions. 
Encourage - explore - invigorate 

Remember also: everything has a time limit - don't run out of air, and don't push too hard!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?