Working with English Learners Virtually!

 It's time to return to blogging, for many reasons - some including:

1) We are all trying to build this plane while flying it

2) I feel more now than every it's time to advocate for the needs of our special populations

3) I need to share my learning and growing


When our district learned that schools would start virtually - my heart sank. I know of many families that are merely surviving since Covid first started and now we are going to further their isolation.

For me - here are my top 3 priorities for leading our department through this all:

1) Accountablity- check in with every single student - every single week.

2) Health and Wellness: encourage and ensure the well being of our students and staff are at the forefront

3) Remove barriers: to learning period, but especially learning virtually. As a parent of a junior EL child, who spent 2-3 times longer on daily work than his brothers during NTI, this needs to be a positive learning experience for all.

So tomorrow we begin our work as a department - 

  • Without the inperson camraderie, but with ALL of the passion.
  • Without the in games and team bonding, but with all the care and concern.
  • Without all the pieces of the puzzle, but with our starting tokens in hand.
I refuse to let the uncertainty and disruption that 2020 has brought, impact this school year as a certain 'doomsday' in education. Will there be difficult days and unexpected challenges.... of course!
However I trust my team!
I trust the heart and passion of our team.
WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!
We Can Do Hard Things Pictures, Photos, and Images for Facebook ...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?