Stay for the Buffet!

 

On Saturday, I officiated a lovely wedding at a very unique venue, BB Riverboats!

For the first time in a long time I was invited to stay for the brunch buffet, to which I gladly accepted.

I did not know that the wedding would be on the first day of moderate temperatures after a sweltering heat wave. I was eager to get home and do yard work on our mini farm. As I sat at Table 6 - the table for "others", all alone I might add, I looked again at the wedding itinerary. The boat ride was about to begin, which means I would not be home for another 3 years. Even though the buffet was calling my name, I thanked the bride and groom and exited the boat.

Next stop was the bank to deposit the wedding check, and then onto Tractor Supply for pig and chicken feed, and straw for the goat beds. After leaving Huntington, the thought of a Panera iced tea and bagel was calling my name.

Well - I should have stayed for the buffet!

As I entered the intersection after seeing two vehicles fly through the red light (cross traffic), out of the corner of my eye I saw a vehicle approaching at high speed. I had enough time to slam on the breaks and avoid being T-boned - however it still smashed into the front of the car and spun around 180 degrees before stopping.

Time stood still.

Why are car crashes SO loud!
The bagel that I was relishing to bite into had landed cream cheese side down on the passenger floor, my tea splashed everywhere, and I was left blinking in sheer disbelief of what had just happened.

Witnesses from every direction came running to check on me. One lady handed me the license plate from the front of the car that was sitting adjacent to the car in the intersection. "I think I'm ok" was the only response I could utter. I wanted to get out of the intersection. I wanted to get out of the car. 

I drove across and parked in a bank lot, but the door was smashed shut. Panic set in and so did the tears.

The health of my remaining kidney was now my primary concern and so I entered the ambulance with a neckbrace, clutching my phone and trying to keep the tears at bay.

What seemed like hours, was only minutes as confirmed by the police report.

Hours were spent in the ER, thankfully with a clean bill of health, just sore muscles that still remain tense and inflamed. 

My husband said it again - you should have stayed for the buffet!

Lessons learned:

What would 2 hours of rest, socializing, enjoying a beautiful day on a boat cost me?

Time.

What it ended up costing me to leave:

  • a car
  • hours in the hospital
  • car insurance drama
  • rental car drama
  • and on and on and on

Life's too short friends - stay for the buffet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?