Labels and identifiers (a tidbit of a larger concept)

  So a while ago I asked my PLN and FaceBook community these two very serious (tongue in cheek) research questions.

Q1: If you are asked to wear a name badge, what do you write? 
Title and last name (Dr. Delahunty)
Full name (Geniene P. Delahunty)
First name only (Geniene) 
or fake name (Sally McWenton - made that up while typing).

Q2: what stickers/decals are are on your car?

I was quite surprised with the number of people who said fake names (I won't blow your cover here FB friends).
The most common response was: it depends on the function. First name with friends/Title and last name with strangers.

So why is that?
What wall do we think we are putting up by leaving out our first name. Doesn't providing strangers with our last name in fact share more than what we should be comfortable with. Does our first name assume such intimacy that we reserve it only for friends?
Late in the summer I remember a conversation as school planning was underway about how we introduce ourselves to peers/staff/teachers and families. There were mixed thoughts there too. Do I insist everyone calls me "Dr. Delahunty"? - no. Do I feel more appreciated and respected when someone acknowledges that title - well yes. Does it ultimately change who I am - not one bit!

So why do we fuss so much about how we are presented on the outside. Why do some car owners go to great lengths to carefully choose their identifiers. Would I be thrown out of the fast food drive through because I have a 13.1 decal on my car - nope! They will take my money as eagerly as the 0.0 decal owner :)
By the way the majority of respondents said nothing on the car at all!

Perhaps those who are most comfortable with themselves don't have any stickers/decals or identifiers at all? I will admit I have not placed anything on my new car - and doesn't that in essence send a message? hmmm? (imagine my one eyebrow raised as I look at you hmming)!

Is it a matter of self confidence? - or self identity?. I wave quite fanatically with anyone with a South Africa flag on their car (hoping the driver is aware since there is no hand sign that indicates - hey I'm from South Africa too - maybe I should make one up?)

So perhaps then it is a sense of community - that in this giant world we live in - we want to have a sense of belonging; and seeing a sticker that we can identify with - helps us not feel like a lone spec of genetic material floating around (that we really are).

Further pondering on this - one of my favorite topics - in the new year!



Worth the read:http://upsidedown.edublogs.org/2014/11/30/who-are-you/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?