Your first...

We always have many firsts!

As we get older our chances of doing things for the first time seem to diminish - by our own choosing. We get comfortable (some may even say complacent) and our opportunities to engage in 'first time' experiences.
I always love giving my students a 'first time' opportunity. If taken for granted students could miss out on these on a daily basis by merely assuming that their background/life experience mirror our own, or those of the majority.

So my second grade pullout  group investigated the smells, texture and tastes of pumpkin pie for almost 20 minutes. We engaged our senses, our food enthusiasm and tapped into our bravery centers of the brain.

Do you remember the last time you tasted something new/different? Or did you automatically reject the experience with 'no thanks'.

Last night my husband and I watched an episode of "An Idiot Abroad" where poor Carl is constantly put in first time situations. Last night, he had to eat a worm out of a bottle. I thought "we... gross" but really would it kill him? And his fussing about it was quite rude to the native offering the treat.
I remember my dad telling me stories of being offered fried worms and chocolate covered ants in the Congo where he drilled water wells fie the government.
I remember being given the 'eyeball' in a Taiwanese dish two years ago when adopting Nick. Quite the honor for the recipient.

Yesterday I put our Christmas tree up and became quite sappy as I reminisced some firsts:
*1st Christmas as a couple
*For our four legged kids
*As a family of four
*As a family of five
This year will be the first Christmas without Ed, my father in law; and the first with my parents living on the west coast.
If we think the value of our 'first time' of anything has diminished at all...travel back in your memories for a minute. I dare say most of our recollections are that of 'firsts'.

So what impact does that have on us as educators?
Perhaps the first face in the educational system- the first time introducing new material- the first time engaging with new technology ?
Know that we will provide lasting memories!!
What do you want to be the first of?
First who really cared?
First who showed interest?
First to reach out to families?
First ....???


Blogs to read: 
Ted Huff: Difference Maker.... Change Agent.... http://theodorehuff.blogspot.com/2014/11/difference-makerchange-agent.html
Ben Gilpin (Pictures say 1000 words http://colorfulprincipal.blogspot.com/2014/11/pictures-say-1000-words.htmlhttp://colorfulprincipal.blogspot.com/2014/11/pictures-say-1000-words.html
Brenda Vatthauer (The Power of Connections: http://principalmn.blogspot.com/2014_11_01_archive.html)

Comments

  1. Geniene, what a wonderful perspective. I must admit I often worry that my reaction to new things will be perceived as rude. I'm conservative by nature and I have a very picky palet. With that said, I feel a sense of curiosity and the thrill to step out of my comfort zone when I read your post. Thanks for the push!
    -Ben

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?