First Day of School (bittersweet)


Sometimes I'm not sure who is more excited/nervous for the first day of school, the teachers or the students or the parents. My first day of school with students happened at the Elementary building I work in. This was an intentional choice as I knew I had several "new" to school families in the 4th grade and K level and I wanted to be there for them. 
I couldn't wait to get to school! I left my house early, dodged the middle/high school traffic and walked the buzzing hallways to capture some classroom pictures. Teachers had worked tirelessly to prepare their rooms. Custodians had swept and cleaned and the school displayed a shiny welcome with vibrant colors and personalized doors (and for a moment I wished I was a student about to enter these hallways).

I met my newcomer at the door as she exited the bus and she greeted me with a huge smile. I asked her how the bus ride was, to which she excitedly replied "it was fun, and a bit loud!". To say I was shocked at her understanding of my question and level of competence with her response was an understatement. A pleasant surprise! Navigating a new school is difficult enough - having to filter information and directions all day is so mentally taxing! I felt comfortable leaving her for chunks of time at a time so she could adjust to her new environment, and so that I could check in with other students.

My mission this year was not only to serve my students but to build relationships with their families. So with phone in hand - I stopped in every classroom to 1) check my list of students was accurate, but 2) and most importantly capture a photo of them in their home class to email home.

After every room, I would hurry back to my class/office and send a quick email home (when available through our data system *infinite campus* or off of registration forms) and say something like: (actual letter to parent)

Hello,

I just saw K______in the classroom and she was smiling and coloring her picture. She also has a new friend!



Thanks for joining our Yealey family!


To which I attached the photo captured of K__ smiling and coloring her picture.She is a Kindergarten student so you can imagine the adjustment for stay at home mom's and the younger siblings now without their older sibling for a few hours.

I wanted the first home communication from the school (I had already met most of these families at the welcome back picnic/open house) to be positive and encouraging and to put families at ease.
My newcomer had adjusted so well the first few hours - I contribute a lot of that to her very proacdtive parents. Dad had come to visit our school before we ended for the summer. He took a school tour - asked about ESL programs and we even negotiated her grade placement (knowing they were here for a 3 year contract and the academic demands of 4th grade versus 5th grade).
He had been in contact with our principal through the summer and here we were - first day of school.
My email to him looked like this:
9:22am

Good morning,

R____ is doing great :) She said "the bus ride was fun and a bit loud" :)

She is in art class right now. She stood up and introduced herself to everyone – confident and with a big smile on her face. Thank you for joining our Yealey family!


I was so pleased to get a response from the family: 
9:58
Hi, Geniene:



Thank you so much for sending me the pictures.

To tell you the truth, she was a little bit nervous last night and couldn't sleep well.

And we were so, too.



 But seeing the pictures made me feel very happy.



 I really appreciate your email.



Best regards,
Y__________

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! but more than just a task - or an event - I feel like I laid the cement foundation for a building structure that is rooted in my 'culture of caring' and sincere value for my parents/families.

On the bittersweet side, we had a student choose not to return to us this year. A sweet third grade student (who would have been in fourth grade) chose to stay back in Mexico with her parents. She had moved to the U.S last year to live with her aunt (left) and grandma (center) in the photo below. I had texted Maria (aunt) a few weeks before school started to ask if J would be joining us. They were in Mexico at the time visiting family and she replied that J didn't want to leave her parents again. SUCH a difficult decision and as much as we will miss her state side, I know her family relationship and staying close to mom and dad were more critical for J at her young age. She 'endured' our school for a full year - with many tears -  and I dare say not a lot of learning because her heart wasn't here. It was home with her family in Mexico.
 










Our students walk through our doors every day with so much weighted on their shoulders and in their hearts. I honor their bravery and their decision to join our school family and I honor the families and parents and extended families who support them. I challenge you to keep the first day excitement and energy - every day! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?