Two Watermelons!


On mother's day this year my husband took our boys shopping, and with absolutely no idea what amazing gift they would give - I eagerly awaited Sunday morning. They love giving hints (aka torturing me), and this year the hints were quite confusing. It's alive! (no not a horse), it's big! (deceptive), and it was in the back of Brian's truck hiding under a tarp.
My mind raced thinking about chickens (we eat a farm's worth of eggs each week), to a reptile (I've been wanting a lizard/dragon) - but each time I guessed, I was told " I was wrong".

So with slight trepidation I uncovered the tarp Sunday morning to find a truck load of small vegetable and herb plants. They were giving me the gift of a garden.
A gift that took an entire sunday to execute (grumble grumble) however it has been the gift that has literally kept on giving.


This space had been selected years ago. Now time to do the work.
Soil bought and leveled


Brian putting the finishing touches on the fence to keep the dogs out

Admiring his handiwork.

Everything is planted - now we wait.
What made this gift/experience so meaningful is that I've been talking about this garden for several years. I had planted the 'seed' in my husband's mind and he wanted me to not only follow through with plans we lay out in life, but he wants me to be happy. Deep down, he also knew this would be something that the whole family could get on board with and benefit from.

So what does this have to do with (Working in Education with Language Learners)?
Well - follow along~I began my summer PD journey six weeks ago when I joined #ptcamp thinking - this is just what "I" need. Feed ME. I needed my 'garden' to be 'watered'.
Little did I know that beyond a book study - this would be a dynamic, relationship building gift that keeps on giving.
I reflected on the chapter about diversity using my veggie/herb garden as an illustration. For my final reflection and video I return to the limestone rich soil at the perimeter of our deck.

I've been amazed at how zucchini, peppers, tomatoes and mint have grown wild and plentiful without much of my attention. I do eyeball the garden daily - and water it, and started pruning the zucchini plants after watching several YouTube videos. However, for the most part I have left it to 'grow itself'.
My biggest take away from my #ptcamp experience is the balance of intentional  and organic action.
Communities and partnerships rely on intentional conversations, relationship building, actions and activities that are authentic and meaningful. There is a lot of organic bonding and bird walks and fruitful detours that will happen along the process but the community as a garden needs work!
tomato and zucchini plants growing big!

The first harvest of many

My #ptcamp experience has highlighted how much fun and rewarding this work can be. The fruit of my seed planting and labor has fed my family and others, as I have had my professional and personal bucket filled several times over during 'camp'.
Imagine if I had researched more than just the zuccini - if I hadn't left some plants 'on their own'. No plant left behind in my garden!

Since our boys selected all the plants for this year's garden, some of my husbands and my own selections were not included. That will definitely be remedied for next year - as we have started composting and all kinds of wonderful corresponding activities.
One plant has caused the "are we there yet" redundant question from my husband: "do we have any watermelon yet?"
first sign of watermelon

At first. it was just a grape sized, so we didn't hold out to much hope. However, yesterday I almost stepped on a second grapefruit sized watermelon and immediately started researching next steps. Apparently the fruit needs to be separated from the dirt - avoiding direct contact to prevent 'frotting' - with hay or cardboard. These two beauties are growing stronger every day - and my husband's interest in the garden has grown immensely.

 I give him credit for enduring many zucchini meals despite really not enjoying them. As soon as he hinted that he would enjoy breaded/baked zucchini, it was made and loved by all. Did you know there are over 100 variations of cooking zucchini?

What's the best part of my garden ? The harvest is not done. As long as I tend to it, it will continue to provide goodness long after the first frost. I have had to learn a new 'language' while becoming a gardener, just as we learned social media app's and jargon to enhance our PLN. My kids even had a guest spot on one of the Voxer conversations regarding the use of Apprenet in the classroom!
every flower has the potential to bear fruit

Even though today is the last 'official' day of our PLN (Professional Learning Network) known fondly as #ptcamp - we have intentionally made plans to continue our relationships beyond the span of the these 6 weeks. We have branched the perimeter walls rather organically as we have shared together, laughed together, learned together and dreamed together. Just as the second watermelon was found accidentally by redirecting the vines back into the enclosed garden (it was well into the neighbors yard) - the lives and hearts of my fellow ptcampers have rooted themselves in my garden.... and I will be forever grateful and better for community!
VIDEO: REFLECTION
YOU TUBE REFLECTION



Comments

  1. Great pictures! I love the garden as metaphor for our rich shared experience of PTcamp. Hoping both continue to feed you and your family long after the harvest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?