Look at my feet!

Open house used to be my least favorite night of school. While classroom teachers had set their rooms up and prepared personalized packets for each of their new students, I would wander the halls or worse yet sit in my ELL classroom hoping people would visit me. Well why would a new family walk into a classroom that isn't clearly marked aside from my name which meant nothing to them. I
This year was clearly different. I had a new perspective about engaging parents - thanks to my awesome PLN that began with "Beyond the Bakesale" book study. I placed myself in the library right next to the transportation table where families would be checking bus numbers and routes (second busiest to fee payment table). Students came up and hugged me or waved from afar, we even snapped some family pictures and selfies with the kids :)
I had also given each home room teacher a few (color photos- with a please see me ~in the library~ note on top, with my email and cell phone below). I also handed a few out to families that I knew were new.

I had the best time!
I was able to meet the daughter of a family who had moved to our neighborhood this summer. Her dad had visited us several times setting things up with a lot of care and concern as she is entering 4th grade after moving from Japan. A few new Indian families shared their questions and comments yet my favorite experience was meeting my 'first' Korean family. A shy little kindergarten boy, a very supportive mom who had a huge smile on her face the whole time (yet understood almost no English), and dad who had transferred here to a Korean company for contractual work. At one point standing in the long lines with them ready to navigate busing, I remembered that I have Korean writing on my feet. Why you ask? Well, I studied TaeKwando for 10 years and 2 of the 5 tenets which I needed constant reminder of are "self control" and "perseverance".

I had those tattood on my feet for several reasons - none related to this story. However, at the point of awkward silence I turned to mom and son and said "Look at my feet!".
A great conversation ensued between the family and with me :)
At the end of our session together I shook mom's hand and said (gamsahabnida) which means Thank you in Korean. A word I had spoken many many times inside my dojo to my instructors and Grand Master.
감사합니다
"gamsahabnida " 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?