Ready, Set.....STOP!

It has come to my attention lately - there is a definite increase in the number of automobiles running red lights. I have witnessed accidents in front of me at intersections as my lane has moved into the intersection on green - and the oncoming traffic had also passed through on red. As I left my ice tea beverage dispensary (not to be named - but a definite confession of a certain Mango Iced tea - large - with two splenda's please- addiction); I saw three cars in a row speed up to a very large intersection as the traffic lights turned orange (yes - my South African heritage here). I cringed as the last two cars raced through clearly on red - waiting for that sickening sound of metal against metal.

Thankfully, this time .... it didn't happen!

SLOW DOWN!
I want to yell, and yes may have yelled, because my goodness - what is the rush all about?
What is so important that you risk your life and others to get through an intersection that would probably keep you waiting a mere 5 more minutes. 

I have started including some practices of "Ready, Set....STOP" - the true definition of red lights, and I'd like to share why and how these may have a trans-formative effect on you both professionally and personally.


Ready, Set, STOP Tips
#1. Don't google the term "red light" or "red lighting" from work. Trust me on this one!

#2. Red flags: we all have triggers that set us off. It might even be the presence of someone in the same room. For me, it could be as simple as getting home and seeing a dirty kitchen (pet peeve). BEFORE you allow your emotions to get the better of you, close the lid. Allow the red flag to become a red stop sign to calm yourself. Breathe - walk away - or affirm in the positive

#3. Leave your work, confident that you have worked to your best capacity and unless you have to, shut down the laptop/phone and focus on you and your family when you get home.

#4. Take heed of RED as a literal sign to stop and look around. I have an extremely bad habit of picking up my cell phone at red lights. I have been jarred to reality by honking horns as the lights have turned green while I have been engaged in social media and disengaged in real life around me. Truly, it could wait! It distracts me from being aware and present. Look around - smile at the driver in the car next to you - admire the nature/new construction. Or just sit and enjoy the music on the radio for the next two minutes.

#5. Understand what things, tasks, relationships or habits transition you from a state of good (green), to orange (warning) to stop (red). Knowledge is power and in the world of education, if you don't understand yourself, you are going to have a difficult time truly understanding or showing empathy to others.

EDIT- UPDATE:
I just watched Dr. Brad Gustafson's #30secondtake with my good friend Doc Sheilah. I swear I wrote this before I watched - but what a great tie in to the Ed world:

https://adjustingcourse.wordpress.com/2015/07/18/stop-the-madness/


Comments

  1. Geniene-nice work. This is good reminder for us all to self-assess our own habits and take time to pause to enjoy what is around us. Your traffic light visual is great and has stuck in my brain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"How do you measure a year in the life?"

2016 One Word: Intentional

Anchor down!/ "Anchors away"?